.

.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Brittney McPherson.

I suppose at 24 years old, not many people have friends that they went to kindergarten with. That's where Brittney and I met, I'm guessing. With most friendships, I can remember the first time we met each other, but my memory gets fuzzy about where us two met, like she's always been around. It's kind of like the memory you have of first meeting your grandmother or the first time you brushed your teeth. You don't have that memory because you've always known your grandmother and it seems like you've always brushed your teeth. Although after thinking about it, I guess you couldn't have brushed your teeth before you had them, so I guess you haven't always brushed your teeth. But what I'm trying to say is that the exact moment that we met is unclear. I believe that means that I have a good friend. We were both in Mrs. Christian's first grade class, and accomplished many life goals that year together... learning to read, to not absolutely have to take a nap during the day, and to walk down the hall in a straight line to the bathroom. We also had our first theatrical debut together with our 1st grade Peter Rabbit performance. Brittney acted out the role of Mother Rabbit while Megan and me were Peter's twin sisters (we were a shoe in) Floppsy and Mopsy. Embarrassing. I'm sure that we have many of the same life memories, because like Megan, Brittney and I have pretty much experienced many of the same things together.


 Elementary school came and went and we found ourselves in junior high where they gave us access to real live lockers and a great view of the good lookin' high school boys. Between the two of us, we've probably used twenty packs of wide rule notebook paper stuffing letters decorated with hand drawn stamps about those good lookin' high school boys in each other's lockers. The funny thing is that we drooled over the same boys, and didn't think that was strange at all. Some of my favorite junior high memories are from staying the night with Brittney when we watched the Scream trilogy and rolled half of the Brewer community's yards every October. Like Hillary, me and Brittney grew up in the same church and eventually in the same youth group. Like I said earlier in Hillary's story, that group of friends had a huge impact on my life, and I wouldn't take anything for those times. After high school, Brittney and Hillary tried to go down the unbeaten path to Northeast Community College instead of Itawamba, but they eventually saw the light. In the fall of 2009 we found ourselves both headed to Mississippi State, so naturally we paired up as roommates in Starkville. I can say one thing about Brittney if anything. She is a fantastic dishwasher. I had this weird thing about our Tony Lin dishwasher in Starkville where I didn't want anyone to use it because 1. It left food particles on the dishes like you hadn't even washed them and 2. It ran up our electric bill, and like all college students, money was sparse. Bless Brittney's heart, she humored my peculiarities and me and her washed I bet 95% of the dirty dishes in that apartment. Brittney is a fantastic friend. She's one of those friends that I know will always be my friend, even if we move to different ends of the country. We'd pick right back up like nothing ever happened. That's just the way she is.


No comments:

Post a Comment