.

.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Amanda Whitehead Tennison.



Amanda is the only cousin I have on my dad's side of the family. She's three years older than me and Megan, and from what I've been told, she was the only little kid that daddy was around a lot before us. Therefore, she is solely responsible for preparing my dad for raising two twin girls. Growing up, I've been told stories about how Amanda tottled behind my dad everywhere he went, even to the bathroom-which was good practice for him considering that he's shared one bathroom with three females since 1988. Amanda, Megan, and I spent many days of our childhood at Memama's house "cutting up." Cutting up mostly included stringing dull pink grandma crocheting yarn from every knob, hook, or sturdy structure to another sturdy structure in her living room. It also involved tying Memama up with the same dull pink crocheting yarn, and playing dress up with her long Sunday dress skirts. Every once in a while, Memama would let us have a little bit of her cooking flour and we would play restaurant with the pots and pans that she kept in her well house. Amanda was the first person to teach me the cooking lesson that water plus flour equals dough, which is pretty much the most foundational lesson that someone can know about cooking. I'm sure that will come in handy when I'm cooking for Jeremy. When Amanda got married a few years ago, that was the first wedding I'd ever been in as anything except for the kid that hands out the birdseed. She's returning the favor now, and has a sweet little boy that's going to be the ring bearer.




No comments:

Post a Comment